Skip to main content

What is success?

A couple of weeks ago, my oldest called me. He asked me what is success. I wasn't sure what he was looking for, so I explained what it is to me. First, each of us needs to define it for ourselves in order to know what it looks like and if we've achieved it. I explained to him, that for me it's finding joy in living this life I've been given regardless of the circumstances. I explained to my son that raising him and his brother and sister into happy, healthy, thriving young people who are better off than we were growing up is success. Knowing that I've left the things I am responsible for in a better state than when I received that responsibility or took that responsibility is success. That's what I want to continue to do--leave things better than when I found them. That's my legacy.

When the kids were young, NBB loved the animated movie, "Robots". We watched it often. I can still hear Bigweld's voice say, "See a need, fill a need." That resonates with me still to this day. I'm not waiting for someone else to do it when I can. It's even better if I can teach someone else to do it and why to do it so that there are more of us doing good because we can. Because we're called.

My call is simple, "Feed my sheep, feed my lambs, take care of them. Because you love Me." (John 21:15-17). I am far from perfect, but my main spiritual gift is exhortation which is the gift of encouraging others. It's not just a gift, but also aligned to my greatest strengths which are in seeing each person as an individual, with their own strengths and weaknesses, and relating to them and how to use what they have in the best ways possible. I see people and love them anyway, in spite of, because of how they are made. And in seeing them, I can help them find their way forward. 

Tonight, I received a call from an old friend and former team member. She said, "Whenever I think of you, I think about the story you told me of the woman you interviewed who wanted to hug you after the interview. You bring that out in people. They just meet you and feel known." I laughed and said that I planned to have dinner in two days with that woman. That even after she moved on to her next job, we stayed in touch and maintain our friendship, mentorship, and do life together even today because of that bond. These women and men I've worked with over the years have told me the difference I have made in their lives. How I have been the best boss, leader, manager they've ever had... they are my success. They're success, growth, maturation, adaptation, change, or whatever else I came into their life to help them get to or through is what success looks like to me. 

In ten days, I will start a new job as a Senior IT Operations Manager. I get to do what I love: build a great team one person at a time. I was sharing with my current leaders over the last two days what I hope they will continue to do that we started together, but how I hope they will also take new steps without my leadership and leave their own marks on the team for its betterment. I don't want things to stay as I left them, I want them to continue to become whatever each next stage is for the person or the team. I think that's what's so exciting--it can be whatever we want to make of it. So the next time you see a need, fill the need and find your path to success.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Struggles

Struggles. We all have them. My (latest) favorite saying is, "We all have our things." And for me, my "thing" is wanting to eat to fill the emptiness inside. And not like carrots and apples and good for you stuff. Oh, No! The really bad for you stuff. I crave sugary treats. I have been doing so well with my eating lately and have been exercising for the last few weeks as well, but last night nearly took me down. I was struggling with wanting to run--not walk--into the kitchen and make myself a bowl of cereal with some Craisins or a fruit smoothie or a PB&J. I prayed instead. Almost to the point of tears, I begged God for this to pass. I ate some carrots. I drank some more water. I contemplated some tea. I got out my swiss ball and did some wall squats as I watched TV. I had already been out for a walk earlier with ML, too, but I felt like I was coming out of my skin. OBSESSING about eating something. It wasn't food that I wanted, though. I wanted to feed t

Join the Navy, See the World!

There are things we want in life and make happen, but they don't always happen as we'd planned or imagined. My dad had gone to Ohio University in Athens, OH on a wrestling scholarship. I, too, wanted to go to OU, but since he'd dropped out and it had a reputation as a huge party school, it was going to be a tough sell. So, I did my homework and sell I did. At the time (1990), OU was one of the top 10 colleges for Communications in the U.S. That was the degree I wanted and I wanted to go to OU to get my degree. I graduated early and during the time between my acceptance to OU and the College of Communications and pre-college, I had become further enamored with marine life and sharks specifically and wanted to change my major to Marine Biology which at OU was actually a Zoology degree. The girl tried to talk me out of changing my major because it was so hard to get into the College of Communication and if I left, I would have to reapply and hope for the best in my junior year

Sometimes, Reality is Worse

What if I told you that Joseph/SAM was created to hurt me? Made up to be everything I'd ever want and more? What if I told you everything I believed and knew him to be was an enormous hoax? All because someone wanted to give me what she felt I had given her. All that she felt I had taken from her. I have to admit that while people have hurt me before with their actions and decisions it has been for their own personal and selfish reasons. Usually not with malicious intent.  There has to be a lot of pain and hurt within a person to invest so much into the creation of a fictional character. Someone who would really take the time to know me. Someone who would enlist others to make the ruse real. To call me on the phone, to send me cards from the web, to pick out a card and leave it at a bar where the bartender who gave it to me told me how cute my guy was, to create a Facebook account with pictures and friends, to bring an ex-wife into the mix, pictures from the desert and your trave