Skip to main content

Precious Moments

Her little hands stretched across the bed poking out from under the covers where she lay cocooned, the sparkling nail polish she'd chosen just days before looking so dark against her snow-white skin. Her fingers felt my forearm though she was still asleep and wrapped lightly around it. It was such a small gesture, but it brought a smile to my face being just newly awake myself. It was much better than the slap to the face I sometimes get as she curls up behind me and reaches to hold me as she falls asleep.

Lately, when I have my kids with me, my daughter likes to sleep in my room with me. At first I protested, but then I relented. I sometimes want to read in bed or want to stretch across the whole thing or I don't want to have someone taking my covers, hitting me in the face or kicking me in the kidneys. Not sleeping as well as I could is a small price to pay in order to have these precious moments together. On Sunday morning, my son came bounding down the stairs and then into my room. He climbed into bed next to his 'sis' and jostled her awake to tell her he loved her as he snuggled in. She, not caring for precious moments that include being awakened so early on a Sunday morning, told him to "get off" and rolled closer to me taking the covers with her. While I can relate to her response and have been that way myself in the past, now I smile and enjoy these moments.

We had a wonderful weekend together. For once, my daughter's BFF was gone for the weekend so I got to be the BFF instead. I took the kids shopping and while I went in to just get some shoes for my girl, they both ended up with watches and some clothes, too. I am a sucker for them! Then, it was girl time since my son headed outside per usual! We played LIFE (which, BTW, I hate because it takes FOREVER, but I retired a millionaire and beat her so it was worth it ;O)--what?! I like to win :0), watched movies, snuggled, laughed, made dinner and just enjoyed each other...and that was just Saturday. On Sunday, my mom came over to go to church with us. After church, I took the kids to Arabica for lunch and then home again where they talked me into taking them to the movies. We decided to see Green Hornet. It was a good movie, but way more swearing than was necessary in my opinion, but I should have expected such from Seth Rogan. I had bolognese sauce simmering so we could have it over raviolis when we got home. It made for the perfect ending to a wonderful weekend. Plus, my son got to bring a friend of his to the movies and play with him all afternoon and evening which was a nice change!

I look forward to the rest of the week with my babies. Life is so much better when you let go of the little things and enjoy each of the moments as they come, precious as they are!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Struggles

Struggles. We all have them. My (latest) favorite saying is, "We all have our things." And for me, my "thing" is wanting to eat to fill the emptiness inside. And not like carrots and apples and good for you stuff. Oh, No! The really bad for you stuff. I crave sugary treats. I have been doing so well with my eating lately and have been exercising for the last few weeks as well, but last night nearly took me down. I was struggling with wanting to run--not walk--into the kitchen and make myself a bowl of cereal with some Craisins or a fruit smoothie or a PB&J. I prayed instead. Almost to the point of tears, I begged God for this to pass. I ate some carrots. I drank some more water. I contemplated some tea. I got out my swiss ball and did some wall squats as I watched TV. I had already been out for a walk earlier with ML, too, but I felt like I was coming out of my skin. OBSESSING about eating something. It wasn't food that I wanted, though. I wanted to feed t

Sometimes, Reality is Worse

What if I told you that Joseph/SAM was created to hurt me? Made up to be everything I'd ever want and more? What if I told you everything I believed and knew him to be was an enormous hoax? All because someone wanted to give me what she felt I had given her. All that she felt I had taken from her. I have to admit that while people have hurt me before with their actions and decisions it has been for their own personal and selfish reasons. Usually not with malicious intent.  There has to be a lot of pain and hurt within a person to invest so much into the creation of a fictional character. Someone who would really take the time to know me. Someone who would enlist others to make the ruse real. To call me on the phone, to send me cards from the web, to pick out a card and leave it at a bar where the bartender who gave it to me told me how cute my guy was, to create a Facebook account with pictures and friends, to bring an ex-wife into the mix, pictures from the desert and your trave

Join the Navy, See the World!

There are things we want in life and make happen, but they don't always happen as we'd planned or imagined. My dad had gone to Ohio University in Athens, OH on a wrestling scholarship. I, too, wanted to go to OU, but since he'd dropped out and it had a reputation as a huge party school, it was going to be a tough sell. So, I did my homework and sell I did. At the time (1990), OU was one of the top 10 colleges for Communications in the U.S. That was the degree I wanted and I wanted to go to OU to get my degree. I graduated early and during the time between my acceptance to OU and the College of Communications and pre-college, I had become further enamored with marine life and sharks specifically and wanted to change my major to Marine Biology which at OU was actually a Zoology degree. The girl tried to talk me out of changing my major because it was so hard to get into the College of Communication and if I left, I would have to reapply and hope for the best in my junior year