Skip to main content

Are you kidding me?

That's what I said when I got the call a little while ago that a dear friend had passed away. My friend Patti explained that she was not in fact kidding me. I explained that I didn't mean it like it sounded, but that I just cannot believe it myself and that's what my brain was saying but my mouth recited it. I didn't say much else after that because I didn't know what to say. This person, George, had been a dear friend to me for a long time. He was so good to me...to anyone, really. So positive, so personable, so caring and considerate. Not only was he a friend I met in my professional world through HDI, but he was also my grandma's neighbor and then my mother's once she moved into my grandmother's house.

George could always be counted on for a hug or a word of encouragement. When things went awry with my marriage, during my separation, and finally my divorce, he would always check on me when he saw me and didn't let me get away with "I'm fine." I could also tell him I can't talk about it because if I did I would cry and he was good with that. He had one of those voices that boomed and a way about him that was reminiscent of my grandfathers...he was a presence in a room; people wanted to be near him and listen to him tell his stories. George is the kind of man that anyone who was lucky enough to call friend was blessed in doing so.

George was a family man and served in the Air Force. He was a loving family man who always spoke with pride about his boys as well as his wife Marilyn's children and grandchildren. One of his sons is also in the Air Force and he was blessed to see him a few weeks ago in Las Vegas while there for the HDI conference. George was so respected by his team that they nominated him for manager of the year. He won. His wife said he spent his last day on his Harley and then had a nice dinner out with his family. She said he went out on the top of the world having enjoyed the things he loved most in his last weeks. I am thankful to have seen him myself just about 10 days ago. As usual he hugged me and called me kiddo as he was apt to do.

I will miss you, Georgie! May you rest in peace, my dear friend! Love and hugs and I'll see you when I get there!
George and his wife, Marilyn

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Join the Navy, See the World!

There are things we want in life and make happen, but they don't always happen as we'd planned or imagined. My dad had gone to Ohio University in Athens, OH on a wrestling scholarship. I, too, wanted to go to OU, but since he'd dropped out and it had a reputation as a huge party school, it was going to be a tough sell. So, I did my homework and sell I did. At the time (1990), OU was one of the top 10 colleges for Communications in the U.S. That was the degree I wanted and I wanted to go to OU to get my degree. I graduated early and during the time between my acceptance to OU and the College of Communications and pre-college, I had become further enamored with marine life and sharks specifically and wanted to change my major to Marine Biology which at OU was actually a Zoology degree. The girl tried to talk me out of changing my major because it was so hard to get into the College of Communication and if I left, I would have to reapply and hope for the best in my junior year

Sometimes, Reality is Worse

What if I told you that Joseph/SAM was created to hurt me? Made up to be everything I'd ever want and more? What if I told you everything I believed and knew him to be was an enormous hoax? All because someone wanted to give me what she felt I had given her. All that she felt I had taken from her. I have to admit that while people have hurt me before with their actions and decisions it has been for their own personal and selfish reasons. Usually not with malicious intent.  There has to be a lot of pain and hurt within a person to invest so much into the creation of a fictional character. Someone who would really take the time to know me. Someone who would enlist others to make the ruse real. To call me on the phone, to send me cards from the web, to pick out a card and leave it at a bar where the bartender who gave it to me told me how cute my guy was, to create a Facebook account with pictures and friends, to bring an ex-wife into the mix, pictures from the desert and your trave

Struggles

Struggles. We all have them. My (latest) favorite saying is, "We all have our things." And for me, my "thing" is wanting to eat to fill the emptiness inside. And not like carrots and apples and good for you stuff. Oh, No! The really bad for you stuff. I crave sugary treats. I have been doing so well with my eating lately and have been exercising for the last few weeks as well, but last night nearly took me down. I was struggling with wanting to run--not walk--into the kitchen and make myself a bowl of cereal with some Craisins or a fruit smoothie or a PB&J. I prayed instead. Almost to the point of tears, I begged God for this to pass. I ate some carrots. I drank some more water. I contemplated some tea. I got out my swiss ball and did some wall squats as I watched TV. I had already been out for a walk earlier with ML, too, but I felt like I was coming out of my skin. OBSESSING about eating something. It wasn't food that I wanted, though. I wanted to feed t