Skip to main content

Music from My Life: A Video Blog, of sorts

I was talking to a friend yesterday and he was telling me what music he was listening to. At the time it was Guns N Roses. Man, it had been a LONG time since I had listened to them or even thought about the, but when I listened again to their songs and as I hear the verses of "November Rain" wisping through my brain even now the memories from that time bubble up. That is how music is for me and for most of us I would guess. It marks a place in time for us and reminds us of where we were and what we were doing or going through or who we were with or who knows what else. It made me think of the songs that represent something in my life of significance that will be marked forever by these songs.

My earliest music memories come from my mom. She seemed to always have music on the record player and I am sure that has been foundational for each of her children; I know it has been for me. We'd listen to the Beatles, Loggins & Messina, James Taylor, Carol King, Carly Simon, Simon & Garfunkel and Christopher Cross. I can remember her in the kitchen of our house on Marlowe making apple skin ribbons for my older sister and I as we ran around the table in the dining room eating them, laughing and listening to Christopher Cross' "Sailing". I can remember the curtains in that room, the window seat, the record player, my mom's hair, my sister's bowl cut...the whole thing--oh, and let's not forget the fantastic, green carpeting under our feet as we ran in circles.

To this day, I love that song, James Taylor, Kenny Loggins, Carly Simon and many songs by the other artists. They will always be a part of the soundtrack of my childhood and even my early-adulthood. When I went away to the Navy, my mom and I had a very tenuous relationship. She made me a mix tape where she also recorded herself telling me some things about the songs she chose. The one of the most significance was by Carly Simon's "Love of My Life":



It meant a lot to me to hear these things from my mom and I DO so love lilacs! As a mother myself now, I know exactly where Carly was coming from. To be loved in this way and to have lost it for so long with my mom as I got older turned a corner because this song made an impact on me and helped my mom express what I'd needed to hear for so long.

When I was in Pesacola, FL for Aircrew school, The Red Hot Chili Peppers came out with "Under the Bridge". When I talk to anyone I went to crew school with, this song represents that time we spent together. I can see myself on the road behind the barracks in Kim's white Grand Prix, my Ray-bans on, the sun shining, the windows down, a smile on my face and this song on the radio:



When I was in San Diego living with my roommate who became my best friend, Jessica, we listened to Blind Melon, Soul Asylum, Spin Doctors, and Reba McEntire. The songs "Runaway Train", "Somebody to Shove", "No Rain", "Little Miss Can't Be Wrong", "What Time is It?"
and the entire Reba's Greatest Hits Vol 2--the whole album--played a million times between us during 1993-94 when we lived together. I still own every one of those albums! For my time with her, while "No Rain" was probably the most played song, the most significant and (later) meaningful was "Does He Love You?" by Reba. Jess would always have me sing the Reba part and she would sing the Linda Davis part. Wish I'd paid more attention at the time!:



On September 3, 1994, I married my now-ex husband. We didn't have a song at the time and I guess I'd never really thought about it. I was pregnant with our first child at the time when I heard this song by Donna Lewis, "Always Forever", came out. The verse about the baby's blue eyes stuck with me because early on both Pierre and I had dreamt we'd had a blonde-haired, blue-eyed baby boy...and we did. Today, he is a dirty blonde with green eyes and over 6' tall, but this song is forever for my first baby:



Following the birth of our middle child, things got tenuous between us. We went out one night to sing karaoke at Corky's bar. My ex sang Creed's "With Arm's Wide Open" and dedicated it to me for our son who'd been born just months before:



When our middle child was about 7 months old, we went to New Hampshire with my cousins to stay at my dad's house where I'd spent 1977-80 with my family growing up. My aunt took us on a hike up the back of a hill by her house where you can view the Presidential Mountain Range. While our marriage was falling down around us, I found us standing in a field of gold around us. Pierre had declared this our song long before. As we stood there, he sang this to me. For a moment, I had hope:



Nine months later, my ex moved out. We spent 6 months separated. Then, we got pregnant with our third and final child. When she was born the following year, I can remember him sitting at the computer with her in his arms and playing "Somewhere Over the Rainbow" as sung by Israel Kamakawiwo'ole. In the version he'd play her, it would start with "This one's for Gabby"...and that made it her song. To this day, she still asks for him to hold her in his arms and play her song. Here it is, my little girl...remember that dreams really do come true!:



For many years, music was just background noise. I forgot the joy and emotion and sadness and memories held inside the rhythms and lyrics. I love hip-hop, rap and dance to workout to or just listen to in my car. I like country and folk because they tell stories. I like pop and alternative because they carry emotion. I like classical and nature sounds because there are no words and just the movement of the music or the rhythm of the sounds.

For my SAM, this song will always be our song. You were the first person to whom I spilled all my secrets and I am the person with whom you felt comfortable enough to tell yours. When I put together the playlist of my time with you, I hadn't heard this song yet. As I was burning the first CD, I heard the song and knew it belonged. Now, I hear it CONSTANTLY on the radio and have it on a number of my playlists. It will forever remind me of you and make me appreciate that time when you were my safe haven. I hope you stay safe and well and know you are loved:

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Struggles

Struggles. We all have them. My (latest) favorite saying is, "We all have our things." And for me, my "thing" is wanting to eat to fill the emptiness inside. And not like carrots and apples and good for you stuff. Oh, No! The really bad for you stuff. I crave sugary treats. I have been doing so well with my eating lately and have been exercising for the last few weeks as well, but last night nearly took me down. I was struggling with wanting to run--not walk--into the kitchen and make myself a bowl of cereal with some Craisins or a fruit smoothie or a PB&J. I prayed instead. Almost to the point of tears, I begged God for this to pass. I ate some carrots. I drank some more water. I contemplated some tea. I got out my swiss ball and did some wall squats as I watched TV. I had already been out for a walk earlier with ML, too, but I felt like I was coming out of my skin. OBSESSING about eating something. It wasn't food that I wanted, though. I wanted to feed t

Sometimes, Reality is Worse

What if I told you that Joseph/SAM was created to hurt me? Made up to be everything I'd ever want and more? What if I told you everything I believed and knew him to be was an enormous hoax? All because someone wanted to give me what she felt I had given her. All that she felt I had taken from her. I have to admit that while people have hurt me before with their actions and decisions it has been for their own personal and selfish reasons. Usually not with malicious intent.  There has to be a lot of pain and hurt within a person to invest so much into the creation of a fictional character. Someone who would really take the time to know me. Someone who would enlist others to make the ruse real. To call me on the phone, to send me cards from the web, to pick out a card and leave it at a bar where the bartender who gave it to me told me how cute my guy was, to create a Facebook account with pictures and friends, to bring an ex-wife into the mix, pictures from the desert and your trave

Join the Navy, See the World!

There are things we want in life and make happen, but they don't always happen as we'd planned or imagined. My dad had gone to Ohio University in Athens, OH on a wrestling scholarship. I, too, wanted to go to OU, but since he'd dropped out and it had a reputation as a huge party school, it was going to be a tough sell. So, I did my homework and sell I did. At the time (1990), OU was one of the top 10 colleges for Communications in the U.S. That was the degree I wanted and I wanted to go to OU to get my degree. I graduated early and during the time between my acceptance to OU and the College of Communications and pre-college, I had become further enamored with marine life and sharks specifically and wanted to change my major to Marine Biology which at OU was actually a Zoology degree. The girl tried to talk me out of changing my major because it was so hard to get into the College of Communication and if I left, I would have to reapply and hope for the best in my junior year