Skip to main content

F**kin' Perfect!

As a woman and the mother of a little girl, the need to be f**kin' perfect can become overwhelming at any age. I watch my little girl as she sees me making changes in my life. I watch her becoming more active because I am more active. I watch her make healthier choices because I make healthier choices. I watch her weigh herself and tell me that she's lost a pound or an ounce or whatever. I have also watched her react to the Wii tell her that she is overweight. It's not pleasant. No one wants to hear that you are something less than what you see yourself as. In her eyes, she is not overweight. In the land of scales, weights, measures and ranges, she is. I am, too. I think it's important for her to realize that as something that is important from a health and wellness standpoint, but not as something that defines her.

The other night, she was climbing into bed next to me to snuggle and looked at herself in the mirror. At that moment, the door had been opened to a teaching moment. I asked her what she saw when she looked in the mirror. She started to tell me what other people told her about her. So, I asked again. What do YOU see when YOU look at that little girl in the mirror? She looked again at the reflection of herself. She was thoughtful for a moment before answering. She understood what I was saying about other people having their own perspective of what or who we are because of what they see in and from their own experiences which make that perspective. What I wanted from her was how she viewed herself out of her own eyes and did she love what she saw.

In the end, I want her to know just what P!nk is saying in her song:
Pretty pretty please, don't you ever ever feel
Like you're less than f*ckin' perfect
Pretty pretty please, if you ever ever feel like you're nothing
You're f*ckin' perfect to me!



We cannot allow the "perfect" of the world or the perception of others dictate who or what we are. No one is or ever will be perfect. What we need to find is acceptance for ourselves and others. We can only do our best and nothing more. Sometimes our best is stymied by the place of darkness we are in at any given moment or season of our life. It doesn't define us, but it does affect us. I see the struggles of my children as other children call them names and make them feel like less than they are. They are not the sum of the words spoken against them. They are so much more to me and so many others. I feel sorry for people in the world that need to hurt others to make themselves feel better. That kind of brokenness just begets more brokenness. It's sad and hateful and harmful. My heart aches for each of those children who don't have someone to tell them it's not okay to hurt others or to tell them that they are f**kin' perfect just the way they are and don't need to take the joy of others away to find that in themselves!

Comments

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Join the Navy, See the World!

There are things we want in life and make happen, but they don't always happen as we'd planned or imagined. My dad had gone to Ohio University in Athens, OH on a wrestling scholarship. I, too, wanted to go to OU, but since he'd dropped out and it had a reputation as a huge party school, it was going to be a tough sell. So, I did my homework and sell I did. At the time (1990), OU was one of the top 10 colleges for Communications in the U.S. That was the degree I wanted and I wanted to go to OU to get my degree. I graduated early and during the time between my acceptance to OU and the College of Communications and pre-college, I had become further enamored with marine life and sharks specifically and wanted to change my major to Marine Biology which at OU was actually a Zoology degree. The girl tried to talk me out of changing my major because it was so hard to get into the College of Communication and if I left, I would have to reapply and hope for the best in my junior year

Struggles

Struggles. We all have them. My (latest) favorite saying is, "We all have our things." And for me, my "thing" is wanting to eat to fill the emptiness inside. And not like carrots and apples and good for you stuff. Oh, No! The really bad for you stuff. I crave sugary treats. I have been doing so well with my eating lately and have been exercising for the last few weeks as well, but last night nearly took me down. I was struggling with wanting to run--not walk--into the kitchen and make myself a bowl of cereal with some Craisins or a fruit smoothie or a PB&J. I prayed instead. Almost to the point of tears, I begged God for this to pass. I ate some carrots. I drank some more water. I contemplated some tea. I got out my swiss ball and did some wall squats as I watched TV. I had already been out for a walk earlier with ML, too, but I felt like I was coming out of my skin. OBSESSING about eating something. It wasn't food that I wanted, though. I wanted to feed t

Submitting is all in the Attitude

Sometimes....my head is so full of so much, I don't really know what I am thinking or feeling. I don't take the time to process or dig because sometimes it takes me to a raw place and I am not ready for that. Instead, I just keep moving forward....one foot in front of the other. Right now, I am struggling to stick to this Abs  menu that I have decided to try for the next 28 days along with some friends. It's a lot of veggies and I am more of a fruit girl. I am choosing to stick with it because it's part of my plan to submit to something. Alongside it, I am doing the Made to Crave 21-Day Challenge so my mental state can carry my physical and emotional. This is 28-days out of a lifetime; I can do this. Sometimes, I don't want to. The reality is that it's hard and it's strange and new for my body. I have never done well on low-carb programs. I liken the Abs menus a bit to Atkins where you can eat a TON of high fat and high protein. The difference is that whi