Skip to main content

Seeking Solace

My heart grows emptier as each day passes. I have been feeding it fallacies and fantasies. I have stoked its fires with attention that was unwanted, yet continued and encouraged it. I began to become the person that I always say I am not: someone who plays with the hearts of others. I spent nearly four hours yesterday at lunch with Bear whom I consider a friend though deep down I think he hopes to consider me as more. Even though he defends his intentions toward me as friendly, he attempts to find favor with me through flowers, paying attention and a little bit of stalking me on Facebook which means learning about my friends and doings.

ML had called me early in the day crying because of a current heartbreak. It was one I was expecting and one she was denying the possibility to; not only to me, but to herself as well. She teases me by calling me Ms. Cleo or Dr. Phil. I don't tell her things because I am psychic or trained in psychology. My training comes by way of intuition and experience. I am one who learns the hard way about life and the knocks that come with it. While she and I are very different in many ways, we both desire to be loved above all else and that leads to foolishness. We lie to ourselves about what we can take and what it is we seek. We try to find ways to make the choices, our desires, the right ones.

Last night, after I got home from lunch with Bear (when it was already past dinnertime), I met ML for drinks up at a bar near my house. We had a good time, but as usual, my tolerance is for crap which isn't a bad thing. By 9:30, I was home. I washed my face, moisturized, put my jammies on, made my bed with freshly washed sheets and climbed between them. Yet, sleep eluded me. I sent a text to John wishing him a good night's sleep and the same to Bear. It was at this point that I started to feel that enough was enough. I was not being the person I wanted to be. I wanted so much to feel SOMETHING, that I would take anything...even if it meant showing attention to men I have no feelings outside of friendship for. Even though I say that to them directly, my actions betray my words and encourage them beyond that friendship. I give them hope where there is none. I knew that I needed to go back to church.

I have sought solace from so many means: food, men, sexual pleasures, success, position, recognition...yet, all fall short. All leave me seeking more and never finding my fill. I need something that I can only get from the filling of my spirit; a peace that can only be brought through one relationship. A relationship between myself and my father; the Creator of heaven and earth and also of me. The one who knew me before I was given breath. The one who wishes me hope and a future and to prosper me and not harm me. I know that I can find Him anywhere I am, but there is such power in being among other believers. There is something to be said for worshiping Him in song and praying together for the same goals. Being prayed for by others and alongside others brings much comfort.

As I headed to church, my head and heart were full. I knew the tears would be near the edge of my eyes begging to pour out, but that I had lunch planned with a long-missed friend and needed to keep my senses about me. I was a little late getting to the church--my church from which I have long been absent. It was fuller than when I had left and that made me happy. I knew it was growing because the Truth is spoken here--the hard stuff that we sometimes don't want to hear because it convicts us of our own transgressions. Today was no different. The first song was one I didn't know, but it was beautiful and the young man leading worship is one that I've always enjoyed. The mentor of my oldest son was playing the drums as he often does. Seeing him made me long for my son to find his love again of the Lord; something that was lost in the midst of the final trials between his father and myself. So, I prayed for him and for me and for us.

As the unknown song flowed into the next, the words came out of my mouth. It was familiar to me: "How Great is Our God"...and I agree. He is GREAT. He is greater than this moment in my life, all the travesties happening in the world, and He is standing beside me or carrying me in the midst of the storm that I find myself. The message today is from Ephesians 4:25-5:5. It is about relational sin. And I am convicted of my own personal shortcomings. It is a reminder of something I always say, "What someone does to us is their choice, how we react to it is our choice." We need to own our reaction because our thoughts become our feelings and not place blame on others because of their own choices. Basically, we have to choose to not let our life's circumstances, events and emotions rule us or choose to use them as they are to work for us.

I choose to find my solace in God's arms. Not in the things of the past that never fulfilled the need that burns inside of me. I will speak the truth to others and not tell them just what they want to hear. I will do so in love and with care. And I will hope that I am loved enough in return that others will do the same to me.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Struggles

Struggles. We all have them. My (latest) favorite saying is, "We all have our things." And for me, my "thing" is wanting to eat to fill the emptiness inside. And not like carrots and apples and good for you stuff. Oh, No! The really bad for you stuff. I crave sugary treats. I have been doing so well with my eating lately and have been exercising for the last few weeks as well, but last night nearly took me down. I was struggling with wanting to run--not walk--into the kitchen and make myself a bowl of cereal with some Craisins or a fruit smoothie or a PB&J. I prayed instead. Almost to the point of tears, I begged God for this to pass. I ate some carrots. I drank some more water. I contemplated some tea. I got out my swiss ball and did some wall squats as I watched TV. I had already been out for a walk earlier with ML, too, but I felt like I was coming out of my skin. OBSESSING about eating something. It wasn't food that I wanted, though. I wanted to feed t

Sometimes, Reality is Worse

What if I told you that Joseph/SAM was created to hurt me? Made up to be everything I'd ever want and more? What if I told you everything I believed and knew him to be was an enormous hoax? All because someone wanted to give me what she felt I had given her. All that she felt I had taken from her. I have to admit that while people have hurt me before with their actions and decisions it has been for their own personal and selfish reasons. Usually not with malicious intent.  There has to be a lot of pain and hurt within a person to invest so much into the creation of a fictional character. Someone who would really take the time to know me. Someone who would enlist others to make the ruse real. To call me on the phone, to send me cards from the web, to pick out a card and leave it at a bar where the bartender who gave it to me told me how cute my guy was, to create a Facebook account with pictures and friends, to bring an ex-wife into the mix, pictures from the desert and your trave

Join the Navy, See the World!

There are things we want in life and make happen, but they don't always happen as we'd planned or imagined. My dad had gone to Ohio University in Athens, OH on a wrestling scholarship. I, too, wanted to go to OU, but since he'd dropped out and it had a reputation as a huge party school, it was going to be a tough sell. So, I did my homework and sell I did. At the time (1990), OU was one of the top 10 colleges for Communications in the U.S. That was the degree I wanted and I wanted to go to OU to get my degree. I graduated early and during the time between my acceptance to OU and the College of Communications and pre-college, I had become further enamored with marine life and sharks specifically and wanted to change my major to Marine Biology which at OU was actually a Zoology degree. The girl tried to talk me out of changing my major because it was so hard to get into the College of Communication and if I left, I would have to reapply and hope for the best in my junior year