Skip to main content

Devastation in Japan Spreads Across the Globe

I got a text from one of my co-workers asking if she could work from home because of the snow/ice storm we got overnight. Then she asked me if I had heard about the 8.9 magnitude earthquake in Japan and triggered a tsunami which could possibly hit Hawaii. CNN created a timeline of events. I had just gotten up and was standing in my bathroom having an internal whiny session because school wasn't cancelled and I had to get the kids to the other side of town. While our snow and ice makes things a mess and causes accidents and delays things, it is nothing compared to what had already taken place on the other side of the world. When the kids got up, I told them about what had happened. My daughter was so excited to share that she knew what a tsunami was. While I would have said it's a big wave, she explained that it is an earthquake, shift or something falling below the sea to its floor that causes the wave.

In the car, more reports of the devastation poured in on each of the different radio stations I switched to throughout our drive. I asked the kids to say a prayer for those affected by these disasters. They didn't quite understand why prayers would be needed until I explained what happened when the earthquake hit and that many were dead, missing and lots of things were disrupted because of what it left in it's path. Aftershocks are still rocking Japan. People in Japan were reporting that you cannot figure out when one ends and another begins.

As I am typing this now, reports of the tsunami reaching Crescent City, Santa Cruz, CA and other areas in Northern CA are appearing on the internet. I have two friends I was in the military with who are in Hawaii now. One who is a native Hawaiian and was my LPO (Leading Petty Officer) and the other who is stationed there currently with the Army (we were in Navy boot camp together). I haven't yet heard from my former LPO, but my Army friend said she is safe and has not been affected by anything other than rain at this point (it's the rainy season in Hawaii right now). I have a cousin who lives in Santa Cruz, too. It's a strange day indeed.

I was pondering how everyone at work has been so loving and helpful and really working as a team and praising one another today. It makes me feel good to have such care shared amongst the teams as we work toward a common goal. Then, I read this blog post talking about how the world is coming together at such a time of need. Even in areas affected by the tsunami, I troops were gearing up to provide support and aid. The affects of this earthquake and subsequent tsunami are being felt around the world.

When the last big tsunami happened, it was Christmastime here. Our pastor addressed what was on people's hearts and minds: "If there is a God, why did he do this or why didn't he stop this from happening?" The answer is not an easy one, and until any one of us is standing before Him we won't really know. God didn't MAKE these things happen, but He is in control still. Sometimes, He allows things in the world because of the lessons that come with it. The impacts that are made on our intertwined lives. If it weren't for the fall in the Garden of Eden and sin entering our world, this would not be happening today. Our free will and choices have led us to where we are today. Who is to say if this is just the natural path of the earth or one it is one because of the impact we have made to it with our growth, industrialization, pollution, etc. All I know is that it is in times like these that we need to turn to our Father in prayer for those affected and know that the outcome is within His control and He does have a plan.

If you are interested in helping the victims of the disaster, here are some ideas for helping those in need or just Text REDCROSS to 90999 to give $10 to Japan's earthquake/tsunami relief.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Struggles

Struggles. We all have them. My (latest) favorite saying is, "We all have our things." And for me, my "thing" is wanting to eat to fill the emptiness inside. And not like carrots and apples and good for you stuff. Oh, No! The really bad for you stuff. I crave sugary treats. I have been doing so well with my eating lately and have been exercising for the last few weeks as well, but last night nearly took me down. I was struggling with wanting to run--not walk--into the kitchen and make myself a bowl of cereal with some Craisins or a fruit smoothie or a PB&J. I prayed instead. Almost to the point of tears, I begged God for this to pass. I ate some carrots. I drank some more water. I contemplated some tea. I got out my swiss ball and did some wall squats as I watched TV. I had already been out for a walk earlier with ML, too, but I felt like I was coming out of my skin. OBSESSING about eating something. It wasn't food that I wanted, though. I wanted to feed t

Sometimes, Reality is Worse

What if I told you that Joseph/SAM was created to hurt me? Made up to be everything I'd ever want and more? What if I told you everything I believed and knew him to be was an enormous hoax? All because someone wanted to give me what she felt I had given her. All that she felt I had taken from her. I have to admit that while people have hurt me before with their actions and decisions it has been for their own personal and selfish reasons. Usually not with malicious intent.  There has to be a lot of pain and hurt within a person to invest so much into the creation of a fictional character. Someone who would really take the time to know me. Someone who would enlist others to make the ruse real. To call me on the phone, to send me cards from the web, to pick out a card and leave it at a bar where the bartender who gave it to me told me how cute my guy was, to create a Facebook account with pictures and friends, to bring an ex-wife into the mix, pictures from the desert and your trave

Join the Navy, See the World!

There are things we want in life and make happen, but they don't always happen as we'd planned or imagined. My dad had gone to Ohio University in Athens, OH on a wrestling scholarship. I, too, wanted to go to OU, but since he'd dropped out and it had a reputation as a huge party school, it was going to be a tough sell. So, I did my homework and sell I did. At the time (1990), OU was one of the top 10 colleges for Communications in the U.S. That was the degree I wanted and I wanted to go to OU to get my degree. I graduated early and during the time between my acceptance to OU and the College of Communications and pre-college, I had become further enamored with marine life and sharks specifically and wanted to change my major to Marine Biology which at OU was actually a Zoology degree. The girl tried to talk me out of changing my major because it was so hard to get into the College of Communication and if I left, I would have to reapply and hope for the best in my junior year