Skip to main content

Mini-me

I remember when my first child was born and from 10-days old, he never wanted to sit. He would only stand when he was awake. I couldn't believe how strong he was. That later turned into strong-will around 18-months. I thought maybe the terrible two's had arrived early. Nope. Instead, he was like me...hyperactive and oppositional. I told my mom her dream had come true, I got a child just like me. She explained that it didn't count until it was a daughter. Spring forward six and a half years and I do bring a little girl into this world and all I can think of is that I am going to make my mama proud--a child just like me! And, she is. I have a daughter who looks and acts very much like her mother--bossy, intelligent, quick-witted, hyperactive, strong-willed, and full of love.

This is my little girl, my mini-me, in her favorite picture of us from Fall 2010:


I cannot imagine my life without her. I had always wanted three children, but my husband and I separated shortly after our second child. It was finding out I was pregnant with her (thoughtwe didn't know it was a her at the time) that reunited us six months later and kept us together for 6 years following her both. I wouldn't trade that time for anything. Our daughter is a little bit daddy's girl and a lotta bit mama's girl. She is a snuggler. She loves both of her parents very much. She loves to read, play board games, video games, and to workout.

In 5 days time, she will run her first race with me. We are running the St. Malachi's 2-miler. She is SO excited. I just finished registering us for the race...AND for our long-sleeved T's! Oh-yeah! You know it! I am WAY excited about that part, but I am even more excited to have my daughter run with me. I am excited to share this time and this passion of mine with her. I have seen this journey of mine--losing weight and getting fit--affect her above the rest of the kids. She is on the band-wagon. She wants to be fit, too. She love to exercise, eat fruits and veggies and other healthy things. She has the most eclectic of palates. I think that may be because when I was pregnant with her, I craved flavors--Thai, Indian, Mexican...spicy, cilantro-laden, yumminess!

Last night after I had put her brother to sleep and almost fallen asleep in his bed, I hear, "Mom, aren't you gonna come snuggle me?" said in a loud whisper from down in her room. I loud-whispered back that I would be right there as I dragged a hand across my drool-smeared mouth (What? It happens!). I climbed into bed with her and we attempted to get comfortable. It wasn't working. I was tired and wanted my bed. I whispered, "You wanna come sleep in my bed so we can both go to sleep?" Heck yes she did. So, we practically ran to my room. I went about washing up and then remembered I needed to take my medicine (for my sinus infection...which I forgot to take today--dammit!) and headed to the kitchen to do that. I climbed into bed and got comfy. As I was just settling in and starting to doze, she rolled over as she often does and snuggled up to me swinging her right arm up and over me as her hand smacks me in the face--just past my ear and almost into my eye--just right. I chuckled to myself knowing that I wouldn't have it any other way. Me and my little girl...

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Struggles

Struggles. We all have them. My (latest) favorite saying is, "We all have our things." And for me, my "thing" is wanting to eat to fill the emptiness inside. And not like carrots and apples and good for you stuff. Oh, No! The really bad for you stuff. I crave sugary treats. I have been doing so well with my eating lately and have been exercising for the last few weeks as well, but last night nearly took me down. I was struggling with wanting to run--not walk--into the kitchen and make myself a bowl of cereal with some Craisins or a fruit smoothie or a PB&J. I prayed instead. Almost to the point of tears, I begged God for this to pass. I ate some carrots. I drank some more water. I contemplated some tea. I got out my swiss ball and did some wall squats as I watched TV. I had already been out for a walk earlier with ML, too, but I felt like I was coming out of my skin. OBSESSING about eating something. It wasn't food that I wanted, though. I wanted to feed t

Sometimes, Reality is Worse

What if I told you that Joseph/SAM was created to hurt me? Made up to be everything I'd ever want and more? What if I told you everything I believed and knew him to be was an enormous hoax? All because someone wanted to give me what she felt I had given her. All that she felt I had taken from her. I have to admit that while people have hurt me before with their actions and decisions it has been for their own personal and selfish reasons. Usually not with malicious intent.  There has to be a lot of pain and hurt within a person to invest so much into the creation of a fictional character. Someone who would really take the time to know me. Someone who would enlist others to make the ruse real. To call me on the phone, to send me cards from the web, to pick out a card and leave it at a bar where the bartender who gave it to me told me how cute my guy was, to create a Facebook account with pictures and friends, to bring an ex-wife into the mix, pictures from the desert and your trave

Join the Navy, See the World!

There are things we want in life and make happen, but they don't always happen as we'd planned or imagined. My dad had gone to Ohio University in Athens, OH on a wrestling scholarship. I, too, wanted to go to OU, but since he'd dropped out and it had a reputation as a huge party school, it was going to be a tough sell. So, I did my homework and sell I did. At the time (1990), OU was one of the top 10 colleges for Communications in the U.S. That was the degree I wanted and I wanted to go to OU to get my degree. I graduated early and during the time between my acceptance to OU and the College of Communications and pre-college, I had become further enamored with marine life and sharks specifically and wanted to change my major to Marine Biology which at OU was actually a Zoology degree. The girl tried to talk me out of changing my major because it was so hard to get into the College of Communication and if I left, I would have to reapply and hope for the best in my junior year