Skip to main content

Rape is NOT a Choice!

An 11-year-old girl was raped in Cleveland, TX back in November. The only reason charges are being filed now against the 18 men--yes 18--aged 14-27, who have been identified thus far is because of videos taken and saved on cell phones. Had it not been for these videos, this crime would go unpunished. Really?! This is what we've come to? This type of behavior is ok and justified in people's minds because, "Some residents told reporters that the girl hung out with older boys at the playground, liked to dress older than her age and wore makeup.". WHAT?! Are you kidding me?! No way! NEVER! This is why so often rape goes unreported. It is a crime where the victim is under as much scrutiny-if not more-than the offenders.

Community activist Linda Morales has it right, "This was an 11-year-old child. And no matter what she did, did not do, how she dressed, how she talked, how she acted does not matter," Morales said. "This was a brutal and savage rape." This child has had something stolen from her. Something she can never get back. She will not feel safe again. She will become disconnected and despondent. Human touch may revolt her even though it is within our basic human needs to desire such contact. My heart breaks for this young girl. I pray for her healing. I pray for her to know she is beautiful and loved and precious. She is not dirty, or wanton, or asking for what she got. She was barely out of her childhood. And now her childhood is lost to her. Why? Because boys and men all felt that their needs were more important than hers?

I am appalled and disgusted. The act of gang raping a girl is heinous enough, but compound it with apathy toward the victim or assigning blame where none is due makes me angry. What if she were your daughter? Your sister? Your mother? Would the same apply? Probably not. Rape is NEVER a choice. It is never asked for. Taking something without permission and in a violent, self-indulgent manner is just plain wrong. Additionally, at a minimum, this girl is a minor. It is non-consensual sex. Statutory rape. That alone makes it illegal. The brutal and repeated nature of her rape makes it 18 times worse. It is something that will flash in snippets and replay in this child's mind. Her childhood is lost to her. God be with her and her family and may these men all get the harshest of punishments for their CRIME because it is a crime.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Join the Navy, See the World!

There are things we want in life and make happen, but they don't always happen as we'd planned or imagined. My dad had gone to Ohio University in Athens, OH on a wrestling scholarship. I, too, wanted to go to OU, but since he'd dropped out and it had a reputation as a huge party school, it was going to be a tough sell. So, I did my homework and sell I did. At the time (1990), OU was one of the top 10 colleges for Communications in the U.S. That was the degree I wanted and I wanted to go to OU to get my degree. I graduated early and during the time between my acceptance to OU and the College of Communications and pre-college, I had become further enamored with marine life and sharks specifically and wanted to change my major to Marine Biology which at OU was actually a Zoology degree. The girl tried to talk me out of changing my major because it was so hard to get into the College of Communication and if I left, I would have to reapply and hope for the best in my junior year

Sometimes, Reality is Worse

What if I told you that Joseph/SAM was created to hurt me? Made up to be everything I'd ever want and more? What if I told you everything I believed and knew him to be was an enormous hoax? All because someone wanted to give me what she felt I had given her. All that she felt I had taken from her. I have to admit that while people have hurt me before with their actions and decisions it has been for their own personal and selfish reasons. Usually not with malicious intent.  There has to be a lot of pain and hurt within a person to invest so much into the creation of a fictional character. Someone who would really take the time to know me. Someone who would enlist others to make the ruse real. To call me on the phone, to send me cards from the web, to pick out a card and leave it at a bar where the bartender who gave it to me told me how cute my guy was, to create a Facebook account with pictures and friends, to bring an ex-wife into the mix, pictures from the desert and your trave

Struggles

Struggles. We all have them. My (latest) favorite saying is, "We all have our things." And for me, my "thing" is wanting to eat to fill the emptiness inside. And not like carrots and apples and good for you stuff. Oh, No! The really bad for you stuff. I crave sugary treats. I have been doing so well with my eating lately and have been exercising for the last few weeks as well, but last night nearly took me down. I was struggling with wanting to run--not walk--into the kitchen and make myself a bowl of cereal with some Craisins or a fruit smoothie or a PB&J. I prayed instead. Almost to the point of tears, I begged God for this to pass. I ate some carrots. I drank some more water. I contemplated some tea. I got out my swiss ball and did some wall squats as I watched TV. I had already been out for a walk earlier with ML, too, but I felt like I was coming out of my skin. OBSESSING about eating something. It wasn't food that I wanted, though. I wanted to feed t