Skip to main content

Independence or IN Dependence?

In Paul's second letter to the Corinthians, he speaks about his dependence upon God:
...to keep me from becoming proud, I was given a thorn in my flesh, a messenger from Satan to torment me and keep me from becoming proud.

Three different times I begged the Lord to take it away. Each time he said, “My grace is all you need. My power works best in weakness.” So now I am glad to boast about my weaknesses, so that the power of Christ can work through me. That’s why I take pleasure in my weaknesses, and in the insults, hardships, persecutions, and troubles that I suffer for Christ. For when I am weak, then I am strong.
2 Corinthians 12:6-10 (NLT)

Some might think God arrogant or unloving to allow such a thing to happen. We forget that it was the choice in the Garden of Eden that unlocked this sin. Our willful and wanton nature was our own undoing. We all have hardships that occur in our lives. Being born again, saved, a Christian or whatever term you relate to once you accept Jesus as your Savior, doesn't stop the hardships or pain; it just means that you have somewhere to go and lay down those things at the foot of His cross and seek Him. You have chosen to acknowledge that you were made for more than this moment and this life alone and have accepted your reliance upon your Creator.

Even as a Christian, "We are pressed on every side by troubles," as Paul points out to us, "but we are NOT crushed and broken. We are perplexed, but we don't give up and quit." (2 Cor 4:8, emphasis added). The reason we don't quit is that we have a place to turn. Jesus. He is always available and wants you to reach out to Him. He desires your dependence on Him and not your independence. He knows we can't do it on our own. We were created for connection and relationship with others. We were created with a need for our Father. Our Creator. The One who "knows me" the One who "knit me together in my mother's womb" the One who knows the path "ordained" for me and wrote my name in His "book before one of them came to be."(Psalm 139:1, 13, 16). This is the same God who loves us all so much that He sent his only son to earth to become flesh before dying on the cross for ME...for YOU...in forgiveness of our sins.

In the movie The Passion of the Christ, when Jesus is being whipped by the Roman soldiers, he falls to his knees at the post and the beating subsides. And then, he gets up again (right about the 3 minute mark in the video clip below). It was at that moment when I first saw this in the theater, the my Spirit whispered "He did this for me" and I bawled at that realization. That He loved me THAT MUCH! He endured all the cruelty, pain, heartache, beatings, and the cross....for me. For you. For all.



But wait, there's more. That's not the whole story. This is the week that this story first unfolded over 2000 years ago. For "He is Risen". And that is that part that really matters. That same God, our Father, our Creator sent us a Savior. Because that's how much He loved us. As we stand imperfect, broken and as sinners, He offers us grace and mercy and salvation. This salvation comes through acceptance of His son as your Savior and asks only that you follow Him and submit to Him. Surrender. Stop believing you can do it all. Stop believing that you ARE doing it. Yes, pick up your cross, lay down the things of the world, and follow Him. Know He would never lead you astray. He is risen to defeat death. He is risen to connect us to our Father, the Creator. Below is a depiction of how Jesus has bridged the gap between us and God and defeated sin and death.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Struggles

Struggles. We all have them. My (latest) favorite saying is, "We all have our things." And for me, my "thing" is wanting to eat to fill the emptiness inside. And not like carrots and apples and good for you stuff. Oh, No! The really bad for you stuff. I crave sugary treats. I have been doing so well with my eating lately and have been exercising for the last few weeks as well, but last night nearly took me down. I was struggling with wanting to run--not walk--into the kitchen and make myself a bowl of cereal with some Craisins or a fruit smoothie or a PB&J. I prayed instead. Almost to the point of tears, I begged God for this to pass. I ate some carrots. I drank some more water. I contemplated some tea. I got out my swiss ball and did some wall squats as I watched TV. I had already been out for a walk earlier with ML, too, but I felt like I was coming out of my skin. OBSESSING about eating something. It wasn't food that I wanted, though. I wanted to feed t

Join the Navy, See the World!

There are things we want in life and make happen, but they don't always happen as we'd planned or imagined. My dad had gone to Ohio University in Athens, OH on a wrestling scholarship. I, too, wanted to go to OU, but since he'd dropped out and it had a reputation as a huge party school, it was going to be a tough sell. So, I did my homework and sell I did. At the time (1990), OU was one of the top 10 colleges for Communications in the U.S. That was the degree I wanted and I wanted to go to OU to get my degree. I graduated early and during the time between my acceptance to OU and the College of Communications and pre-college, I had become further enamored with marine life and sharks specifically and wanted to change my major to Marine Biology which at OU was actually a Zoology degree. The girl tried to talk me out of changing my major because it was so hard to get into the College of Communication and if I left, I would have to reapply and hope for the best in my junior year

Sometimes, Reality is Worse

What if I told you that Joseph/SAM was created to hurt me? Made up to be everything I'd ever want and more? What if I told you everything I believed and knew him to be was an enormous hoax? All because someone wanted to give me what she felt I had given her. All that she felt I had taken from her. I have to admit that while people have hurt me before with their actions and decisions it has been for their own personal and selfish reasons. Usually not with malicious intent.  There has to be a lot of pain and hurt within a person to invest so much into the creation of a fictional character. Someone who would really take the time to know me. Someone who would enlist others to make the ruse real. To call me on the phone, to send me cards from the web, to pick out a card and leave it at a bar where the bartender who gave it to me told me how cute my guy was, to create a Facebook account with pictures and friends, to bring an ex-wife into the mix, pictures from the desert and your trave