Skip to main content

Another Season of Change

Summer for the past three years has been a season of change for me. In 2009, I told my husband I wanted a divorce on May 20th, moved out while our little ones were this his parents in NY for 3 weeks and then moved home for a week before I moved into my new place. Last summer, I reconnected with my first love, had my first post-divorce heartbreak, emptied my proverbial closet and had a very dark time as my boss resigned, everyone at our company took a pay cut, and I had to let three more of my staff go all while trying to climb out of my current abyss of emotion and pain. This year, my ex remarried on Memorial Day weekend, Matthew failed four courses and is considered a sophomore until he passes his summer school which starts Monday, Noah is being bullied by a bunch of boys in my development and it's gotten physical, and then my lease renewal came about and my rent which is already very high is going up another $100, and lastly, my company hasn't recovered to the point where any of us knows we'll still be as we are right now even though we are heading in a positive direction.  Everything has come to a head and August will once again be a time of transition.

All these things, like last year, are coming to a head at once. July is a time of changes and unknowns leading to August where the changes become my new reality. It's time to move on in so many areas of my life, but I have no answers and no plans. I hate that. I was talking to my mom about it because when this all hits at once, I get overwhelmed and it can lead me to shut down as I try to process through everything. Her advice was to pick one thing at a time and address it. So, I started with my lease.

I don't want to move. I love my little home. It's quiet there. It is safe for the kids to play (other than this bully problem) and for me to run no matter the time of the day. It's the perfect size and even though it's a cluster home where 4 homes are joined at the garage and I share a common wall with the family behind me, it is rare that I hear my neighbors. I have a pool, a gym, a pond where Noah can fish and it has a walking trail around it. It has been just the right thing for me for the past two years. I talked to the leasing manager to see if I can get her to leave my rent as it is now since my moving out means they have to upgrade my whole place. She said they're raising their prices for new move ins and my rent is still $80 cheaper than theirs will be. With that, I signed my notice to vacate and went home to cry a bit. I had planned to live here until I married again and either moved in with my spouse or bought a home with him. Now, I have no idea what the right answer is. Rent somewhere else? Buy? For now, I choose neither and will move in with my mom until things at work and settle some more.

I don't want to leave my job. I love it here. I love the people, what I do, and the say I have with regard to how we support our end customer. Additionally, I have an opportunity to see a company through the worst of times into the best of times while being part of the solution and driving that change. That's something I would be hard-pressed to have an opportunity to do again. I have always enjoyed being with newly formed companies since I left the Navy. In fact, each company I worked for was a start-up or newly formed in a given area when I started with them. I love helping to build and create that. Plus, it keeps me from getting bored. At the company I worked for the longest--just over nine years--I was promoted about every eighteen months or so. That's the bonus of a new company, stagnation is rare; those that stagnate fail! Right now, our CEO is in a meeting that should set our course for the next 12 months. We'll see where that takes us.

In my personal life, there is stagnation. I have no active online profiles. My only professional networking is with my peers at HDI or IT Martini where mostly the men are married or 20-something boys in the IT staffing industry. I suppose that's the challenge with being in IT even though it is very male-dominated still. I'm on Facebook, but I talk to all my friends and my guy friends who are local are all happily married. My guy friends who are single are from my Navy days and live all over the country. I was just telling someone the other day that even with online dating, when either or both of you have kids, the likelihood of someone moving to the other is nil. I live where I live because of my kids and sharing custody with their dad. That is a dating limiter. As is having 3 kids. I know that when I am looking at men I would date, if they have more than 2 kids or young kids, I am not interested in pursuing that. I was telling my friend, John, who also has 3 kids and shared custody with his ex that I'm to the point where I am about to resolve to shelve dating until the kids are grown. Then, all the previous factors are gone for me. Ugh! I dunno.

I'm in my crabby, flip, "why plan for anything?!" mode because plans never seem to work out. Flying by the seat of my pants makes me a little anxious, but trusting that God has my best interests at heart reminds me that sometimes the best things in life are the things that were unplanned. #DeepBreath #LivingPlanB

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Struggles

Struggles. We all have them. My (latest) favorite saying is, "We all have our things." And for me, my "thing" is wanting to eat to fill the emptiness inside. And not like carrots and apples and good for you stuff. Oh, No! The really bad for you stuff. I crave sugary treats. I have been doing so well with my eating lately and have been exercising for the last few weeks as well, but last night nearly took me down. I was struggling with wanting to run--not walk--into the kitchen and make myself a bowl of cereal with some Craisins or a fruit smoothie or a PB&J. I prayed instead. Almost to the point of tears, I begged God for this to pass. I ate some carrots. I drank some more water. I contemplated some tea. I got out my swiss ball and did some wall squats as I watched TV. I had already been out for a walk earlier with ML, too, but I felt like I was coming out of my skin. OBSESSING about eating something. It wasn't food that I wanted, though. I wanted to feed t

Join the Navy, See the World!

There are things we want in life and make happen, but they don't always happen as we'd planned or imagined. My dad had gone to Ohio University in Athens, OH on a wrestling scholarship. I, too, wanted to go to OU, but since he'd dropped out and it had a reputation as a huge party school, it was going to be a tough sell. So, I did my homework and sell I did. At the time (1990), OU was one of the top 10 colleges for Communications in the U.S. That was the degree I wanted and I wanted to go to OU to get my degree. I graduated early and during the time between my acceptance to OU and the College of Communications and pre-college, I had become further enamored with marine life and sharks specifically and wanted to change my major to Marine Biology which at OU was actually a Zoology degree. The girl tried to talk me out of changing my major because it was so hard to get into the College of Communication and if I left, I would have to reapply and hope for the best in my junior year

Sometimes, Reality is Worse

What if I told you that Joseph/SAM was created to hurt me? Made up to be everything I'd ever want and more? What if I told you everything I believed and knew him to be was an enormous hoax? All because someone wanted to give me what she felt I had given her. All that she felt I had taken from her. I have to admit that while people have hurt me before with their actions and decisions it has been for their own personal and selfish reasons. Usually not with malicious intent.  There has to be a lot of pain and hurt within a person to invest so much into the creation of a fictional character. Someone who would really take the time to know me. Someone who would enlist others to make the ruse real. To call me on the phone, to send me cards from the web, to pick out a card and leave it at a bar where the bartender who gave it to me told me how cute my guy was, to create a Facebook account with pictures and friends, to bring an ex-wife into the mix, pictures from the desert and your trave