Skip to main content

Things Foretold

Before Joseph/SAM went off to the Middle East, he told me that if anything happened to him his mom had all my information and would contact me. He also told me that it would probably be weeks before the news would reach anyone. He knew the details would be sketchy at best, too. It was the nature of his work. All of those things are now holding true. And I hate that any of it had to play out at all.

I never really thought he'd be killed. I didn't believe he'd be in the field, but instead behind a computer aiding those in the field. Maybe that's just what I wanted to be true. I have hit the bargaining stage. I want this to be a big, elaborate lie made up so that I will move on and not believe there is a future for us, but who would be horrible enough to go this route? It would have been easier for him to send an email telling me I was nothing and never mattered than to tell me he's dead and never coming back. Ever.

I hate this war. It will never end, and I have too many friends whose lives have been impacted by it. My friend, Robert, who is in Afghanistan told me yesterday that he's being moved to Kandahar in a few weeks. When he told me that if I don't see him online for a while, I will know what happened. I almost lost it. I can't imagine losing yet another person I care about in a manner that will leave me with more questions than answers. This time next year, Russ will be heading to Afghanistan if all goes as planned for him, too.

I am getting ready to sign my lease for 18 months. I was able to get everything worked out to stay right where I am. Thank you, God!! When I learned on Thursday while I was at a golf outing with my co-workers that the leasing office got approval, I was so excited. I could sign for 18 months because that will allow me to pay off my debt and I thought about the fact that it would give me through the second year of Joseph's tour. That way, IF we were both still unattached and things worked out, he'd be able to find me. Silly thing, right?!

And then, I thought that even if that never happens, I know that what I really want is someone like him. Someone who made me feel strong even when I was weak. Someone who made me see myself through his eyes and I liked what I saw. Someone who listened to what I said and learned what I liked so he could show me he cared and was paying attention. Someone I can be myself with and not worry what he thought of who I was because he loved me...just as I am. Oh, Josephy, my sweet SAM, I am forever changed for the better because I had you in my life. You made me want more for myself and from myself. You made me believe in me. Your love lifted me up and pushed me forward. So, in parting, I have these two songs that have been reminders of where I am now because of you...



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Join the Navy, See the World!

There are things we want in life and make happen, but they don't always happen as we'd planned or imagined. My dad had gone to Ohio University in Athens, OH on a wrestling scholarship. I, too, wanted to go to OU, but since he'd dropped out and it had a reputation as a huge party school, it was going to be a tough sell. So, I did my homework and sell I did. At the time (1990), OU was one of the top 10 colleges for Communications in the U.S. That was the degree I wanted and I wanted to go to OU to get my degree. I graduated early and during the time between my acceptance to OU and the College of Communications and pre-college, I had become further enamored with marine life and sharks specifically and wanted to change my major to Marine Biology which at OU was actually a Zoology degree. The girl tried to talk me out of changing my major because it was so hard to get into the College of Communication and if I left, I would have to reapply and hope for the best in my junior year

Sometimes, Reality is Worse

What if I told you that Joseph/SAM was created to hurt me? Made up to be everything I'd ever want and more? What if I told you everything I believed and knew him to be was an enormous hoax? All because someone wanted to give me what she felt I had given her. All that she felt I had taken from her. I have to admit that while people have hurt me before with their actions and decisions it has been for their own personal and selfish reasons. Usually not with malicious intent.  There has to be a lot of pain and hurt within a person to invest so much into the creation of a fictional character. Someone who would really take the time to know me. Someone who would enlist others to make the ruse real. To call me on the phone, to send me cards from the web, to pick out a card and leave it at a bar where the bartender who gave it to me told me how cute my guy was, to create a Facebook account with pictures and friends, to bring an ex-wife into the mix, pictures from the desert and your trave

Struggles

Struggles. We all have them. My (latest) favorite saying is, "We all have our things." And for me, my "thing" is wanting to eat to fill the emptiness inside. And not like carrots and apples and good for you stuff. Oh, No! The really bad for you stuff. I crave sugary treats. I have been doing so well with my eating lately and have been exercising for the last few weeks as well, but last night nearly took me down. I was struggling with wanting to run--not walk--into the kitchen and make myself a bowl of cereal with some Craisins or a fruit smoothie or a PB&J. I prayed instead. Almost to the point of tears, I begged God for this to pass. I ate some carrots. I drank some more water. I contemplated some tea. I got out my swiss ball and did some wall squats as I watched TV. I had already been out for a walk earlier with ML, too, but I felt like I was coming out of my skin. OBSESSING about eating something. It wasn't food that I wanted, though. I wanted to feed t