Skip to main content

No Pat Answers

Have you ever been in that place where you're tired of the bad things that happen? Are you tired of the pat answers that people give you telling you that everything will be okay? That there is something better, something more coming in the place of that which you have lost? Something better than you could have asked for or imagined? What if I told you that even in the midst of the storm you're in right now, all that is really not only possible, but it's the Truth? Would you believe me? 


Trust me that I know that believing that to be True in the midst of where you are what you're going through is not easy. If you're feeling like God has forgotten you and moved on or has turned an apathetic ear to you, that is not the case. He's there. He's listening. He's maybe even answering. But the question is, are you listening? Are you asking the right questions? God makes us promises in Jeremiah 29:11 for hope and a future and tells us that He would not harm you. But wait, there's more...in believing that to be your Truth...He says, "Then you will call upon me and come and pray to me, and I will listen to you." (v. 12) Did you hear that part? You have to come to Him. Pour out your heart to Him. Tell HIM where you are and what you're feeling. It's not because He doesn't know, it's because He is asking you to seek HIM. And when the words escape you, come in silence before Him and let the Holy Spirit intercede on you behalf. God hears and understands. The final part of the message Jeremiah shares from your Father is this, "You will seek me and find me when you seek me with all your heart." (v. 13).


Are you thankful for the good and the blessings in your life or are you focused on the mess of the storm you're in right now? Or the confusion of the hurt you see beside you or around you? What if the real answer is to embrace where you are right now? I don't mean you have to love that your best friend lost a baby or that your mother has cancer or the love of your life is no longer there, but to see past that and focus on the things you have, the things you can control change or impact, the things that bring you joy and remind you that you are blessed. 


There's a book that I read years ago by Stormie Omartian called, Just Enough Light for the Step I'm On: Trusting God in the Tough Times, and she talks about being in the midst of some of the things in life that make even the most devout Christians ask if there really is a God. And if there is (and I assure you He DOES exist and He IS good), why isn't He here in this moment? Why did He allow this to happen to me/my friend/my loved one? Why did He let this happen to the world at large? When we ask these questions, and we all will at some point in our lives, it's because we're angry and we're afraid and we hate both of those feelings because it reminds us that we don't control the world--even our little piece of it. I remember when a good friend told me that the reason I was angry was because I wasn't getting my way...and he was right. When life doesn't meet our expectations, when plans fail, when people fail us and promises are broken, it upsets us.


In Renee Swope's post on Proverbs 31 Ministries blog today, she said this, "Can I whisper some hope into your heart today? If you are living and breathing, your purpose has not yet been fulfilled. No matter what you have done or what has been done to you, God does have a plan for your life." And that is what I hope you hear whispered into your desperate situation. It is my hope that you embrace that thought and let it seep deep into your heart. Drink in the promise. Accept that it IS meant for you...even when it doesn't feel like it in this moment. And remember, you were made for more....more than this moment, more than this storm, made to take the bad and have it be redeemed through Him for good for you and for others. Our experiences are just part of a journey that makes us into who we are meant to be. So wake up, and embrace His Truth as shared by Renee, "God’s love is not only unfailing, it redeems and restores. His Truth cuts to the core of our struggles, bringing purpose to our pain, redemption from our past and hope for our future!"


It's not a pat answer, it's God's Truth and His Promise to all who choose to believe. Remember, we must believe in order to receive...so take a chance on the one, True God and skip the pat answers.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Struggles

Struggles. We all have them. My (latest) favorite saying is, "We all have our things." And for me, my "thing" is wanting to eat to fill the emptiness inside. And not like carrots and apples and good for you stuff. Oh, No! The really bad for you stuff. I crave sugary treats. I have been doing so well with my eating lately and have been exercising for the last few weeks as well, but last night nearly took me down. I was struggling with wanting to run--not walk--into the kitchen and make myself a bowl of cereal with some Craisins or a fruit smoothie or a PB&J. I prayed instead. Almost to the point of tears, I begged God for this to pass. I ate some carrots. I drank some more water. I contemplated some tea. I got out my swiss ball and did some wall squats as I watched TV. I had already been out for a walk earlier with ML, too, but I felt like I was coming out of my skin. OBSESSING about eating something. It wasn't food that I wanted, though. I wanted to feed t

Sometimes, Reality is Worse

What if I told you that Joseph/SAM was created to hurt me? Made up to be everything I'd ever want and more? What if I told you everything I believed and knew him to be was an enormous hoax? All because someone wanted to give me what she felt I had given her. All that she felt I had taken from her. I have to admit that while people have hurt me before with their actions and decisions it has been for their own personal and selfish reasons. Usually not with malicious intent.  There has to be a lot of pain and hurt within a person to invest so much into the creation of a fictional character. Someone who would really take the time to know me. Someone who would enlist others to make the ruse real. To call me on the phone, to send me cards from the web, to pick out a card and leave it at a bar where the bartender who gave it to me told me how cute my guy was, to create a Facebook account with pictures and friends, to bring an ex-wife into the mix, pictures from the desert and your trave

Join the Navy, See the World!

There are things we want in life and make happen, but they don't always happen as we'd planned or imagined. My dad had gone to Ohio University in Athens, OH on a wrestling scholarship. I, too, wanted to go to OU, but since he'd dropped out and it had a reputation as a huge party school, it was going to be a tough sell. So, I did my homework and sell I did. At the time (1990), OU was one of the top 10 colleges for Communications in the U.S. That was the degree I wanted and I wanted to go to OU to get my degree. I graduated early and during the time between my acceptance to OU and the College of Communications and pre-college, I had become further enamored with marine life and sharks specifically and wanted to change my major to Marine Biology which at OU was actually a Zoology degree. The girl tried to talk me out of changing my major because it was so hard to get into the College of Communication and if I left, I would have to reapply and hope for the best in my junior year