Skip to main content

Out of the Rubble Rises Hope



Do you remember this picture of the beams from within the World Trade Center in the aftermath of the attacks on 9/11? I do. And for me it meant that God Reigns. It meant that what was done in hate, God would use for good. The stories of those who never made it to the Towers that day, the stories of those who missed flights, the stories of those who fought to protect others they didn't know and sacrificed themselves in order to do so...those are the stories that remind me that while almost 3,000 people perished during the attacks that occurred that day, there were between 14,000 and 19,000 in the Towers alone on that day which means that many more survived. The devastation those who coordinated the attacks could have been far greater. Instead, there were many blessings to be had, there was unity, there was community, there was a shift that occurred in the world and an alignment of the people...the survivors. While we weren't all at the points of destruction, we were all survivors of the attack against our people. God's people.


This post is not about 9/11 specifically, but it is about hope that rises out of circumstances that are out of our control. So much happens that we aren't in control of...things done to us, things that others do that impact us, things that we are powerless against. In the midst of those things, there is something we can do. We can choose how we react to it. We can choose who we become following those things. We can be like the Phoenix and rise out of the ashes of things that were meant for harm and we can embrace the good in the midst of the circumstances we find ourselves. 


While I would have never asked to to have my parents' divorce put me in the role of caretaker, or to have ADHD, or to have been abandoned or sexually abused, all of those things have contributed to the woman I have become. And I like me just as I am and enjoy seeing how these things that hurt me or made my life more challenging, are now being used for good. 


My experiences  have allowed me to connect with other women who've had experiences in their lives and tell them there is hope, there is healing, there is forgiveness of ourselves and the perpetrators of these crimes against us...and there is freedom when you stop being a victim and start embracing this life just as it is. 


Taking responsibility for my brother and sisters has taught me to be a great manager, a leader, to have compassion for others, to see perspectives outside my own, to love deeply. 


Having ADHD has allowed me to create processes and methods of doing things in order to enable my success. I see things logically and emotionally. I have a sequential and ordered method of thinking. I am not immobilized by needing to make a decision quickly because I can take in and process a lot all at once. I can understand the challenges my children are going through and that they need to learn from doing and living and not just by telling them how to do something. 


When I was in the midst of these storms, though, I could not see my hope and my future. Giving our pasts attention is beneficial only when we can look back on it and see what we've come from, what we've learned, how we've grown, how we've mattered in the lives of another. Not by focusing on the things that we cannot change or the things we haven't done or wish we'd done differently. The past is just that and cannot be changed. We can change how we view those events and embrace who we've become thanks to those what we've gone through. It doesn't make those things good or right, but it allows us to accept that God can make all things good. He can be the redemptive force in our lives and show us that it is truly through Him that is possible. 


The things that have hurt me the deepest, have taught me the most. As God says in Isaiah 48:10, "I have refined you, but not as silver is refined. Rather, I have refined you in the furnace of suffering." (NLT) My mom used to apologize to me for the things that happened in my past. The things she wasn't. The times she didn't fight for me. The times she was absent. The thing is, I wouldn't be the woman I am if it she had been all those things. I wouldn't have learned to fight for myself or to overcome challenges. I wouldn't have left home to go to OU and learn that I am more. I wouldn't have left for the Navy and found the structure and family I so desperately desired. I would have left my family when things got really difficult with Matthew instead of fighting desperately for him. I would have left my ex early on and missed out on the blessings Noah and Gabby are in my life and probably had other struggles. My life has not been an easy one. And I know others have had far worse. 


I cannot fix what happened to you, but I can tell you that your Father can redeem the worst things into something glorious. Meet Him right where you are. Pour out your heart to Him. Tell Him all that has hurt you, angered you, kept you from being all that He meant for you to be...clean your slate with the blood of the cross and embrace everything He has to offer. Trust me that it is so much more than you could ever ask or imagine. Just remember that His time is not the same as our own and just as it took time to become the people we are now, it will take time to become the woman (or man) He intends for you to be. Keep seeking with all your hear, and you will find Him. Embrace the hope of a future that can rise out of the rubble of your past.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Struggles

Struggles. We all have them. My (latest) favorite saying is, "We all have our things." And for me, my "thing" is wanting to eat to fill the emptiness inside. And not like carrots and apples and good for you stuff. Oh, No! The really bad for you stuff. I crave sugary treats. I have been doing so well with my eating lately and have been exercising for the last few weeks as well, but last night nearly took me down. I was struggling with wanting to run--not walk--into the kitchen and make myself a bowl of cereal with some Craisins or a fruit smoothie or a PB&J. I prayed instead. Almost to the point of tears, I begged God for this to pass. I ate some carrots. I drank some more water. I contemplated some tea. I got out my swiss ball and did some wall squats as I watched TV. I had already been out for a walk earlier with ML, too, but I felt like I was coming out of my skin. OBSESSING about eating something. It wasn't food that I wanted, though. I wanted to feed t

Sometimes, Reality is Worse

What if I told you that Joseph/SAM was created to hurt me? Made up to be everything I'd ever want and more? What if I told you everything I believed and knew him to be was an enormous hoax? All because someone wanted to give me what she felt I had given her. All that she felt I had taken from her. I have to admit that while people have hurt me before with their actions and decisions it has been for their own personal and selfish reasons. Usually not with malicious intent.  There has to be a lot of pain and hurt within a person to invest so much into the creation of a fictional character. Someone who would really take the time to know me. Someone who would enlist others to make the ruse real. To call me on the phone, to send me cards from the web, to pick out a card and leave it at a bar where the bartender who gave it to me told me how cute my guy was, to create a Facebook account with pictures and friends, to bring an ex-wife into the mix, pictures from the desert and your trave

Join the Navy, See the World!

There are things we want in life and make happen, but they don't always happen as we'd planned or imagined. My dad had gone to Ohio University in Athens, OH on a wrestling scholarship. I, too, wanted to go to OU, but since he'd dropped out and it had a reputation as a huge party school, it was going to be a tough sell. So, I did my homework and sell I did. At the time (1990), OU was one of the top 10 colleges for Communications in the U.S. That was the degree I wanted and I wanted to go to OU to get my degree. I graduated early and during the time between my acceptance to OU and the College of Communications and pre-college, I had become further enamored with marine life and sharks specifically and wanted to change my major to Marine Biology which at OU was actually a Zoology degree. The girl tried to talk me out of changing my major because it was so hard to get into the College of Communication and if I left, I would have to reapply and hope for the best in my junior year