Skip to main content

I Did It!

I have accepted a position as the Senior Director in charge of solutions and the relationship with big blue at a business process outsourcer. I will report to the CFO/COO. I will be a change agent within the organization and part of their transformation. I am beyond excited!

This is what started as a dream job for me with regard to managing the big blue relationship, but the additional area of responsibility in solutioning is an opportunity for me to stretch and grow and build and refine processes in an area that is struggling. I think that is an area in which I excel even though this is an area in which I have only worked on from the periphery. It's also a little scary.

While I have only been at my current company for a little over three years, it has been a wild three years. During that time, I got divorced, lost over a hundred pounds, hired a dozen people, let a dozen or more people go, watched my beloved boss walk away, learned a whole lot of things I didn't want to know, was challenged beyond comfort, and stretched to my limits. In this job, I have let go of being defined by the work that I do and embracing myself for who I am instead. I am not the same person today that I was when I walked through their doors back in March 2008 knowing that I wanted to work for them.

In June 2010, I knew that I wanted to work for the company that I am going to in two weeks. After that visit where my former boss had me run the meeting and share our story and our offerings with this organization and had them start paying attention to who I was. While they didn't have an opportunity at the time, I stayed on their radar and had subsequent meetings in which I got to show them my value and thought process over and over again. And then, a high-level person at big blue told them they needed me...ME...to get that relationship back on track. That lead to the phone call that started me busting at the seams with excitement over that prospect and opportunity. Good things do come to those who wait.

On my way to interview with the executives this week, I got to travel I-76 through Pennsylvania. It was beautiful. I love that route. The mountains, the trees, the hills, the valleys, the waterways...it gives me great joy! Before I left, my friend Jerri reminded me that God will not drop me. I needed to trust that He would be with me and hold me up through all of this. I was asked to spend some time with the woman who will be my mentor just before I got the offer. This discussion lead me to question if I really wanted to join the organization. I was sitting in one of the offices waiting for the offer and continued to pray about a very specific need to be met and asked my mom and Jerri to pray with me. That exact need was met specifically. He didn't drop me. In fact, he lifted me up!

Having the discussions today with my boss and peers was tough. We went through the challenges in our current environment which made me consider this offer. While it's a great growth opportunity for me, if all was well where I was I would not be leaving. My boss was very upset by my decision. His plans for me entailed running the company alongside him. My name is known in the industry and at this challenging time this may further questions about the stability of the organization upon my departure. I called each of my team members individually to explain that I was leaving and that in leaving, I have additional opportunity to drive business toward my current company from the company I am going to by sharing their story with more people. I believe in my company and its service offering. I just feel I am not the right person to take them to the next level.

This decision has not been an easy one for me. Today has run me through every emotion possible. I am drained and emotionally spent now. There is a lot to get done these next two weeks to make my transition out of the organization successfully and set them up for future success in a new structure before heading off on my next adventure. I look forward to these last two weeks with my team, my peers and my boss. While this is the end of one part of my journey, the next one could be even more transformational for me and not just the company for whom I am going to work.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Struggles

Struggles. We all have them. My (latest) favorite saying is, "We all have our things." And for me, my "thing" is wanting to eat to fill the emptiness inside. And not like carrots and apples and good for you stuff. Oh, No! The really bad for you stuff. I crave sugary treats. I have been doing so well with my eating lately and have been exercising for the last few weeks as well, but last night nearly took me down. I was struggling with wanting to run--not walk--into the kitchen and make myself a bowl of cereal with some Craisins or a fruit smoothie or a PB&J. I prayed instead. Almost to the point of tears, I begged God for this to pass. I ate some carrots. I drank some more water. I contemplated some tea. I got out my swiss ball and did some wall squats as I watched TV. I had already been out for a walk earlier with ML, too, but I felt like I was coming out of my skin. OBSESSING about eating something. It wasn't food that I wanted, though. I wanted to feed t

Sometimes, Reality is Worse

What if I told you that Joseph/SAM was created to hurt me? Made up to be everything I'd ever want and more? What if I told you everything I believed and knew him to be was an enormous hoax? All because someone wanted to give me what she felt I had given her. All that she felt I had taken from her. I have to admit that while people have hurt me before with their actions and decisions it has been for their own personal and selfish reasons. Usually not with malicious intent.  There has to be a lot of pain and hurt within a person to invest so much into the creation of a fictional character. Someone who would really take the time to know me. Someone who would enlist others to make the ruse real. To call me on the phone, to send me cards from the web, to pick out a card and leave it at a bar where the bartender who gave it to me told me how cute my guy was, to create a Facebook account with pictures and friends, to bring an ex-wife into the mix, pictures from the desert and your trave

Join the Navy, See the World!

There are things we want in life and make happen, but they don't always happen as we'd planned or imagined. My dad had gone to Ohio University in Athens, OH on a wrestling scholarship. I, too, wanted to go to OU, but since he'd dropped out and it had a reputation as a huge party school, it was going to be a tough sell. So, I did my homework and sell I did. At the time (1990), OU was one of the top 10 colleges for Communications in the U.S. That was the degree I wanted and I wanted to go to OU to get my degree. I graduated early and during the time between my acceptance to OU and the College of Communications and pre-college, I had become further enamored with marine life and sharks specifically and wanted to change my major to Marine Biology which at OU was actually a Zoology degree. The girl tried to talk me out of changing my major because it was so hard to get into the College of Communication and if I left, I would have to reapply and hope for the best in my junior year