Skip to main content

Never Give Up, Even If You Give In

In 2011, I just gave up on me. Stopped caring and stopped setting goals. Just kept moving forward without going anywhere...back to sleepwalking through my life, but I am done with that. Done with letting the things from my past overtake the hope I have in each moment that is mine to make of it what I wish. And what I wish it to be is positive and filled with happiness--even during the tough times! 


A few weeks ago in church, my pastor was talking about how we view our lives. Is there fate/destiny/predestination, is it all what you make it, or is there something else? I have always thought that while God knows what I am going to choose to do, it is still my choice. He allows things to happen to us so that we may learn from them for whatever the reason, but He also brings people into our lives or intervenes through the Holy Spirit to lead us on the path He wants for us. In  a Christian Worldview, that is the basic way things work. God is Sovereign, He reigns even now, and in that He allows us to become what He knows we are capable of. I once said that I believed that even when we took the wrong path, in the end we still got were God needed us to be. It's just a detour where we have other lessons to learn because we chose our way rather than to follow His lead. I believe this from experience. I have ignored God before, but the end was still exactly where He was trying to lead me while I resisted Him. I am sure He knew I would, and used it for good even though I chose my way all too often.


I lose my focus from time to time and sometimes for long periods of time (long for me, not for Him, per se), but I don't lose my faith. I always believe that He loves me and will be there even when He feels absent. A friend recently told me that I think He'll let me fall, but that He won't. He'll catch me. I don't necessarily believe that falling is a bad thing, though. Sometimes I need to fall because I need to see where I have gone wrong. When we were kids and fell down, the adult would always tell us, "You're alright. Get up, brush yourself off, and keep going." That's how I raise my kids, too. That's not to say that I don't kiss the boo boo and make it better, but I also know that if I make too big a deal out of it there could be more upset than is necessary. I think that is how God loves me, too. Sometimes, He knows he needs to just acknowledge my hurt and let me keep going, but other times He needs to reach for me and wrap me in His arms of love to get me back on track again. 


For most of my life, I have tried to control outcomes. In 2010, I started to let go of that control. In 2011, I let go of me, too. The pendulum swung all the way to the other side and I lost myself for a while. In the midst of that, I stopped exercising and eating right and gained back almost 45 lbs from my lowest point in 2011 (Feb 7 when I hit my first set weight loss goal--and 112#s lost). I gave into my sadness and I ate my emotions. I felt sorry for myself and never tried to deal with it. I just kept going like it was no big deal. And then I remembered that it is a big deal. My dad had a heart attack at 57 and while he's been heavy much of his life, he hadn't been for a while and he was exercising fairly regularly. I don't want that to be my legacy...or worse. I want to give my children a love of fitness and an opportunity to overcome their heredity through healthful living. Yes, heredity will always come into play, but that doesn't mean that I have to give in to letting that be the only alternative. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Struggles

Struggles. We all have them. My (latest) favorite saying is, "We all have our things." And for me, my "thing" is wanting to eat to fill the emptiness inside. And not like carrots and apples and good for you stuff. Oh, No! The really bad for you stuff. I crave sugary treats. I have been doing so well with my eating lately and have been exercising for the last few weeks as well, but last night nearly took me down. I was struggling with wanting to run--not walk--into the kitchen and make myself a bowl of cereal with some Craisins or a fruit smoothie or a PB&J. I prayed instead. Almost to the point of tears, I begged God for this to pass. I ate some carrots. I drank some more water. I contemplated some tea. I got out my swiss ball and did some wall squats as I watched TV. I had already been out for a walk earlier with ML, too, but I felt like I was coming out of my skin. OBSESSING about eating something. It wasn't food that I wanted, though. I wanted to feed t

Sometimes, Reality is Worse

What if I told you that Joseph/SAM was created to hurt me? Made up to be everything I'd ever want and more? What if I told you everything I believed and knew him to be was an enormous hoax? All because someone wanted to give me what she felt I had given her. All that she felt I had taken from her. I have to admit that while people have hurt me before with their actions and decisions it has been for their own personal and selfish reasons. Usually not with malicious intent.  There has to be a lot of pain and hurt within a person to invest so much into the creation of a fictional character. Someone who would really take the time to know me. Someone who would enlist others to make the ruse real. To call me on the phone, to send me cards from the web, to pick out a card and leave it at a bar where the bartender who gave it to me told me how cute my guy was, to create a Facebook account with pictures and friends, to bring an ex-wife into the mix, pictures from the desert and your trave

Join the Navy, See the World!

There are things we want in life and make happen, but they don't always happen as we'd planned or imagined. My dad had gone to Ohio University in Athens, OH on a wrestling scholarship. I, too, wanted to go to OU, but since he'd dropped out and it had a reputation as a huge party school, it was going to be a tough sell. So, I did my homework and sell I did. At the time (1990), OU was one of the top 10 colleges for Communications in the U.S. That was the degree I wanted and I wanted to go to OU to get my degree. I graduated early and during the time between my acceptance to OU and the College of Communications and pre-college, I had become further enamored with marine life and sharks specifically and wanted to change my major to Marine Biology which at OU was actually a Zoology degree. The girl tried to talk me out of changing my major because it was so hard to get into the College of Communication and if I left, I would have to reapply and hope for the best in my junior year