Skip to main content

Choose to Love

Continuing with my love theme this week, I want to get to the heart of the matter. I wrote about love being a choice we make each day when we are in a relationship with someone and I stand by that. Love, like our attitude, is all up to us. Regardless of circumstances. Regardless of hurts. Regardless of personal "needs", we choose to either remember why we love this person or to live in anger and resentment toward them. I totally agree with Lysa TerKeurst's comment in The Moment, "...great love isn’t two people finding the perfect match in one another. Great love is two people making the choice to be a match. A decision." We have to decide that this person--this love--is worth investing in, pursuing, and making great. Nothing is made great without effort!


There are many things we need to take into consideration in our relationships. We need to remember that none of us is perfect. We cannot control the other person or their actions, but we can love them the best we know how and pour into them. We can communicate our needs in a manner that is not accusatory, but directs our partners to how we want to be loved and what makes us feel like we are loved (what's your love language?). I think that if we focus on what we need rather than what they're not doing or doing "wrong", we are more apt to get the response we're hoping for. Through it all, pray for God to reveal to you how you can grow in Him. In many cases, we expect things of our spouses that is not their responsibility.


Your partner is not responsible for your happiness. Do they contribute to that? Yes, but we are responsible for how we react to what they do or don't do. We need to search our own hearts and figure out what it is we're hoping to get out of that relationship. Our partners are not responsible for filling us up or fulfilling things within us. We are responsible for that along with seeking who we are in Him who created us. We need to seek soft hearts and understanding in our relationships. I know it's hard when it's just one of you trying, too. My ex and I always seemed to be in different seasons. Lysa TerKeurst wrote a blog on that just recently and it made me aware of this truth from my marriage. We never really matched up in when we were working on our marriage. Nor, do I believe, we were working actively on ourselves and our responsibilities in the marriage except for brief periods of time until we'd feel defeated and quit again. 


Lysa wrote another post on the 3 Marriage Lies, but she also shares the truth. The lies are these: 1.) I married the wrong person, 2.) S/He should make me feel loved, 3.) There is someone else better out there. And the truth is this: 1.) Having a good marriage is more about being the right partner than having the right partner, 2.) Love is a decision, 3.) The grass isn't greener on the other side. It's greener where you water and fertilize it. I couldn't agree more. 


I went through those questions before I decided to end my marriage. It's never an easy decision. The key is in searching yourself, seeking God, and being the best you can be. I don't believe that you should wait until you have someone new before you leave your current relationship. If you're to the point where that is a consideration, throw on the brakes and reassess what you're doing. If you're so miserable in the midst of your marriage, why are you still in it? It takes two parties to make a marriage work. There are also reasons to choose to leave a marriage: abuse, infidelity, believer/non-believer incompatibilities (unequally yoked). Abuse is not called out in the Bible, but there is nothing in the Bible that leads me to believe that hurting someone is God's plan. He calls us to love one another, and abuse is not what we do in love. Real love is patient, kind, it does not envy, it does not boast, it is not  proud, it does not dishonor others, it is not self-seeking, it is not easily angered, it keeps no records of wrongs, it does not delight in evil but rejoices in the truth, it always protects, it always trusts, it always hopes, it always perseveres. (1 Cor 13:4-7, NIV). If that is not how you know love to be, you may want to re-evaluate. 


Start with your own heart. Your own actions. You. That's the only part you can be responsible. The rest is up to God. If your partner chooses not to love, then you have to choose what that's worth to you. What you're worth. I leave you with this reminder, God loved you enough to send His only Son to die for you. His Son said this, "Come to me, all who labor and are heavy laden, and I will give you rest. Take my yoke upon you, and learn from me, for I am gentle and lowly in heart, and you will find rest for your souls. For my yoke is easy, and my burden is light.” In all things, seek Him first and the rest will come. He is a promise keeper. He can be trusted. He is your hope and your future, and it is good!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Struggles

Struggles. We all have them. My (latest) favorite saying is, "We all have our things." And for me, my "thing" is wanting to eat to fill the emptiness inside. And not like carrots and apples and good for you stuff. Oh, No! The really bad for you stuff. I crave sugary treats. I have been doing so well with my eating lately and have been exercising for the last few weeks as well, but last night nearly took me down. I was struggling with wanting to run--not walk--into the kitchen and make myself a bowl of cereal with some Craisins or a fruit smoothie or a PB&J. I prayed instead. Almost to the point of tears, I begged God for this to pass. I ate some carrots. I drank some more water. I contemplated some tea. I got out my swiss ball and did some wall squats as I watched TV. I had already been out for a walk earlier with ML, too, but I felt like I was coming out of my skin. OBSESSING about eating something. It wasn't food that I wanted, though. I wanted to feed t

Sometimes, Reality is Worse

What if I told you that Joseph/SAM was created to hurt me? Made up to be everything I'd ever want and more? What if I told you everything I believed and knew him to be was an enormous hoax? All because someone wanted to give me what she felt I had given her. All that she felt I had taken from her. I have to admit that while people have hurt me before with their actions and decisions it has been for their own personal and selfish reasons. Usually not with malicious intent.  There has to be a lot of pain and hurt within a person to invest so much into the creation of a fictional character. Someone who would really take the time to know me. Someone who would enlist others to make the ruse real. To call me on the phone, to send me cards from the web, to pick out a card and leave it at a bar where the bartender who gave it to me told me how cute my guy was, to create a Facebook account with pictures and friends, to bring an ex-wife into the mix, pictures from the desert and your trave

Join the Navy, See the World!

There are things we want in life and make happen, but they don't always happen as we'd planned or imagined. My dad had gone to Ohio University in Athens, OH on a wrestling scholarship. I, too, wanted to go to OU, but since he'd dropped out and it had a reputation as a huge party school, it was going to be a tough sell. So, I did my homework and sell I did. At the time (1990), OU was one of the top 10 colleges for Communications in the U.S. That was the degree I wanted and I wanted to go to OU to get my degree. I graduated early and during the time between my acceptance to OU and the College of Communications and pre-college, I had become further enamored with marine life and sharks specifically and wanted to change my major to Marine Biology which at OU was actually a Zoology degree. The girl tried to talk me out of changing my major because it was so hard to get into the College of Communication and if I left, I would have to reapply and hope for the best in my junior year