Skip to main content

We All Fall Down


Jesus the High Priest. Huh. Hmm. Interesting. For me, that is a name that doesn't normally come to mind for Him. I related to Him in so many other ways: my Redeemer, my Deliverer, my Support, the Prince of Peace, my Comforter, my Rock and my Salvation, my Refuge and my Strength. My everything. He is the Lord of Lords, the King of Kings, and, yes, the High Priest. None man can say that of himself for we all fall short of His glory.

Jesus became the High Priest, the Intercessor between man and God, when He became sin and died for us on the cross. He tore the veil that had separated us from God. Only the priests were allowed beyond the veil and inside the Holy of Holies. Jesus never sinned, yet He became sin for our salvation. He is Holy and set apart from the rest of us due to His sinless nature. His death was the one time in all His life--a life that spans to the beginning of all things--that He was removed from God. In that brief moment of being "forsaken" by God when He become our sin, He endured His greatest pain. He was removed from the Father. To me, that is what hell truly is. To be absent the love of the Lord. For His light for your way to be cut off. Jesus is the Way, and the Truth, and the Life we are called to live. How can we truly live without Him?

In Hebrews 4:14-16, though, Paul says this about Jesus:

Therefore, since we have a great high priest who has ascended into heaven, Jesus the Son of God, let us hold firmly to the faith we profess. For we do not have a high priest who is unable to empathize with our weaknesses, but we have one who has been tempted in every way, just as we are—yet he did not sin. Let us then approach God’s throne of grace with confidence, so that we may receive mercy and find grace to help us in our time of need.
We all fall short of His glory, yet by His grace and mercy we are still His. Paid for through the blood He shed on the cross. Nothing we do, no actions for our boasting, can connect us to Him. But in the simplicity of confessing that He is our Lord and Savior, we choose Him as the finisher of our story. His blood covers my sin. His love draws me to Him. His comfort and peace wrap around me. His armor covers me from the poison arrows of the enemy. How blessed I am that when I fall down, He is there to heal my wounds.

My flesh and my heart may fail,    but God is the strength of my heart    and my portion forever.Psalm 73:26
Sometimes, when we fall down, all we see is the ground. We forget to look up. It's for those times that I pray that He gives me faith to remember He is all I need. The words of this song say it all. All I am, I surrender. Give me faith to trust what you say.



The lyrics for Give Me Faith are written below. Sometimes the words don't come and we don't know what to say to the Lord in the midst of our circumstances. I find that it is in those times that music helps me to see beyond where I am in that moment and find my way back into His arms. To look up and know that He is there...just waiting for me to call out to Him... Jesus, I'm yours...

I need you to soften my heart
To break me apart
I need you to open my eyes
To see that You're shaping my life

All I am,
I surrender

Give me faith to trust what you say
That you're good and your love is great
I'm broken inside, I give you my life

I need you to soften my heart
To break me apart
I need you pierce through the dark
And cleanse every part of me

I may be weak
Your spirit's strong in me
My flesh may fail
My God you never will (repeat)

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Struggles

Struggles. We all have them. My (latest) favorite saying is, "We all have our things." And for me, my "thing" is wanting to eat to fill the emptiness inside. And not like carrots and apples and good for you stuff. Oh, No! The really bad for you stuff. I crave sugary treats. I have been doing so well with my eating lately and have been exercising for the last few weeks as well, but last night nearly took me down. I was struggling with wanting to run--not walk--into the kitchen and make myself a bowl of cereal with some Craisins or a fruit smoothie or a PB&J. I prayed instead. Almost to the point of tears, I begged God for this to pass. I ate some carrots. I drank some more water. I contemplated some tea. I got out my swiss ball and did some wall squats as I watched TV. I had already been out for a walk earlier with ML, too, but I felt like I was coming out of my skin. OBSESSING about eating something. It wasn't food that I wanted, though. I wanted to feed t

Sometimes, Reality is Worse

What if I told you that Joseph/SAM was created to hurt me? Made up to be everything I'd ever want and more? What if I told you everything I believed and knew him to be was an enormous hoax? All because someone wanted to give me what she felt I had given her. All that she felt I had taken from her. I have to admit that while people have hurt me before with their actions and decisions it has been for their own personal and selfish reasons. Usually not with malicious intent.  There has to be a lot of pain and hurt within a person to invest so much into the creation of a fictional character. Someone who would really take the time to know me. Someone who would enlist others to make the ruse real. To call me on the phone, to send me cards from the web, to pick out a card and leave it at a bar where the bartender who gave it to me told me how cute my guy was, to create a Facebook account with pictures and friends, to bring an ex-wife into the mix, pictures from the desert and your trave

Join the Navy, See the World!

There are things we want in life and make happen, but they don't always happen as we'd planned or imagined. My dad had gone to Ohio University in Athens, OH on a wrestling scholarship. I, too, wanted to go to OU, but since he'd dropped out and it had a reputation as a huge party school, it was going to be a tough sell. So, I did my homework and sell I did. At the time (1990), OU was one of the top 10 colleges for Communications in the U.S. That was the degree I wanted and I wanted to go to OU to get my degree. I graduated early and during the time between my acceptance to OU and the College of Communications and pre-college, I had become further enamored with marine life and sharks specifically and wanted to change my major to Marine Biology which at OU was actually a Zoology degree. The girl tried to talk me out of changing my major because it was so hard to get into the College of Communication and if I left, I would have to reapply and hope for the best in my junior year