Skip to main content

Iron Sharpens Iron

Iron sharpens iron, and one man sharpens another. Proverbs 27:17, ESV



I find it so encouraging to see God at work in my life. To know His hand is on me in the midst of the circumstances and continuing to show me how He intends to use this time to continue to build and hone the woman He purposes me to be for the present and the future plans He has for me. I love that I don't know what it looks like, but can rest in the trust that He continues to remold me as He sees fit (Jer 18:4). I know His hands are the only ones I can put my trust in especially when the place I find myself in says that the tomb is empty. Resurrection in coming. I shared that sentiment with my dear friend, Vern, one of the team's supervisors for which I am responsible, as he asked how I am doing today.

We have become the iron that sharpens the iron of the other. As we have had opportunity to share not just the challenges within our workplace and team with one another, but our hearts and personal lives, we have stretched each other. Prayed together and for one another and our families and loved ones. He calls me wife #2 and his sister in Christ and it's such a gift to be treated with such love and care. We have prayed through his illnesses and accidents as well as those of his wife. We have prayed over the challenges with his adult children who have moved back home and how that was beginning to cause stress between he and his wife. We have talked about having grace with those we love rather than ruling over them and bringing down edicts. We have filled each other up with the love of Christ so that we can continue to pour that out in the lives of those we encounter and those in which we are fully invested.

This morning, Vern shared with me how over the time since I was placed in his life two and a half years ago, he has grown so much personally and spiritually. That is God in me and his recognition of it as such. Many times as I was shifting and adjusting things with him and for him, I was not thinking about if God could or would use this, but God was. He knew what Vern needed and was answering those needs even though it was unknown even to Vern at the time that he needed those changes. These changes in Vern have also changed the dynamics in his family. He has become the leader, the father, and the husband his family needed. His wife has gotten back into reading the Bible. She has gotten back to praying. Seeking God again and lifting her husband and family in prayer. Vern has learned to love deeper and release to God the things he used divide his household. I love being a witness and a piece of what God is doing. It continues to give me hope for the future He has for me as a wife and being covered by a husband who will also be seeking His leading and being remade and remolded as The Potter sees fit.

If the iron is blunt, and one does not sharpen the edge, he must use more strength, but wisdom helps one to succeed. Ecclesiastes 10:10

Sharp edges are not good in people, but with iron which is being honed into an ax or a sword, a sharpened edge is needed to for the purpose in which it will be wielded. Work smarter and not harder--with wisdom rather than with strength. What if we lay down our way and lean into God's way? In Isaiah 55:8-9, God tells us that His ways and His thoughts are not like ours, they are higher than our ways and our thoughts. He sees from the heavens; a place of omniscience. I trust the One who sees all and knows all with my path and my future far more than the view I have from my circumstances, my current place, my current storm or desert or wilderness. Those are all for a time or a season, but my God holds all time and all of us firmly in the palms of His capable and loving hands. I choose Him and His ways. Let the iron continue to sharpen the iron so I can stand in a place of wisdom rather than strength.



 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Struggles

Struggles. We all have them. My (latest) favorite saying is, "We all have our things." And for me, my "thing" is wanting to eat to fill the emptiness inside. And not like carrots and apples and good for you stuff. Oh, No! The really bad for you stuff. I crave sugary treats. I have been doing so well with my eating lately and have been exercising for the last few weeks as well, but last night nearly took me down. I was struggling with wanting to run--not walk--into the kitchen and make myself a bowl of cereal with some Craisins or a fruit smoothie or a PB&J. I prayed instead. Almost to the point of tears, I begged God for this to pass. I ate some carrots. I drank some more water. I contemplated some tea. I got out my swiss ball and did some wall squats as I watched TV. I had already been out for a walk earlier with ML, too, but I felt like I was coming out of my skin. OBSESSING about eating something. It wasn't food that I wanted, though. I wanted to feed t

Sometimes, Reality is Worse

What if I told you that Joseph/SAM was created to hurt me? Made up to be everything I'd ever want and more? What if I told you everything I believed and knew him to be was an enormous hoax? All because someone wanted to give me what she felt I had given her. All that she felt I had taken from her. I have to admit that while people have hurt me before with their actions and decisions it has been for their own personal and selfish reasons. Usually not with malicious intent.  There has to be a lot of pain and hurt within a person to invest so much into the creation of a fictional character. Someone who would really take the time to know me. Someone who would enlist others to make the ruse real. To call me on the phone, to send me cards from the web, to pick out a card and leave it at a bar where the bartender who gave it to me told me how cute my guy was, to create a Facebook account with pictures and friends, to bring an ex-wife into the mix, pictures from the desert and your trave

Join the Navy, See the World!

There are things we want in life and make happen, but they don't always happen as we'd planned or imagined. My dad had gone to Ohio University in Athens, OH on a wrestling scholarship. I, too, wanted to go to OU, but since he'd dropped out and it had a reputation as a huge party school, it was going to be a tough sell. So, I did my homework and sell I did. At the time (1990), OU was one of the top 10 colleges for Communications in the U.S. That was the degree I wanted and I wanted to go to OU to get my degree. I graduated early and during the time between my acceptance to OU and the College of Communications and pre-college, I had become further enamored with marine life and sharks specifically and wanted to change my major to Marine Biology which at OU was actually a Zoology degree. The girl tried to talk me out of changing my major because it was so hard to get into the College of Communication and if I left, I would have to reapply and hope for the best in my junior year